About the Program
The EAL Volunteer Tutor program offers language support to immigrants through tutor matches. You tutor an immigrant in a one-on-one setting based on your preferred delivery method such as online, in-person or blended. No previous teaching experience is required. We provide tutoring resources and training sessions. We run a tutoring session once a week for 2 hours at convenient times.
We match you with a learner based on:
- Location/ preferred delivery method
- Learner’s English level
- Learning goals and structure
EAL Volunteer Tutors help learners with their learning goals, such as:
- EAL literacy skills
- Communication skills for daily life and/ or workplaces
- Canadian Culture / community resources and social events
- Writing and grammar
- English for Academic Purposes
- IELTS, CELPIP and any other exam preparation
- Citizenship Test preparation
- Written test preparation for driver’s license
- Basic computer skills
2 hours per week. 2 hours per week of preparation and lesson planning time may be needed for this role.
Canadian Language Benchmark 4 or higher (written and spoken)
Become a Volunteer
Volunteers help us create healthier, welcoming, and more inclusive communities. Without our volunteers, we could not effectively deliver many of our programs and services. As a volunteer, you will receive orientation, training, and support from us while we together build a community where all can belong and grow.