About the Program
Community Connections is a program designed to help you settle into the community through different activities and supports. Community Connections has programming for all eligible immigrants. Community Connections (Match) is a special support within Community Connections that matches you with a volunteer from the community who has similar interests and a similar gender as you.
The first meeting takes place at ISANS or in your home with the program coordinator. Weekly meetings take place at a time and place that is convenient for you and your volunteer match for at least 6 months.
In Community Connections (Match), you can:
- Find social support and be introduced to your new community
- Practice skills for daily family activities
- Practice English conversation
- Share a home-cooked meal
- See places in the community (historical sites, community centers, parks, and other places of interest to you) and meet people who will exchange knowledge, information, resources, and their traditions and customs with you
For government-assisted refugee families, we also offer a number of activities to help you access and participate in recreation programs. These include:
- Families are matched with a volunteer who will help you to access funding for recreation and social programs for children and youth, and connect individuals to community activities
- Recreation programs for children and youth (ex. swimming, gymnastics, girl guides, etc)
- Bike Safety and bike donation program