About the Program
The Professional Practice Program connects employers across Nova Scotia with skilled immigrant professionals. As a host employer, you offer a participant the chance to work in your organization for up to six weeks at no cost to you. With no obligation to hire, you can evaluate the skills of a potential employee in a workplace setting.
Skilled immigrant professionals participate in the Professional Practice Program to build their professional network, obtain local work references, learn about Canadian work culture, and gain Canadian experience in their profession.
- Flexible: Placements are an average of 6 weeks and can be part or full-time
- No Cost: Discover talent at no cost to you
- Low Risk: Participants' work place injury and liability coverage is provided
- Targeted: Participants' skills are matched with employer needs
- Screened: Employment specialists pre-screen and prepare participants for the labour market
- Career-Focused: Participants are professionals with related education and skills
- No Strings Attached: There is no obligation to hire and the placement can be terminated by either party at any time
Employer Requirements: To qualify, employers must be a registered employer in good standing, have the physical office space for a placement, and three or more employees already on staff. Employers must be able to provide exposure to Canadian work culture, meaningful work directly related to the candidate’s profession or education, required work equipment, and a safe work space.
Candidate Requirements: Pre-screened candidates are legally eligible to work in Canada.
Industry Sector Requirements: The Professional Practice Program is not for career exploration; it must be linked to a candidate’s education or professional experience.