About the Program
Classroom volunteers support instructors in the classroom. Our need for volunteers is greatest in our Literacy program, although occasionally, we get requests for other low-level classes. We assign volunteers based on requests from instructors. Classroom volunteers attend a Literacy-specific orientation before they are eligible to be assigned to the classroom.
As a classroom volunteer, you will:
- Support the instructor with materials they provide
- Work with one or two clients who have similar needs
- Help clients practice letter formation, counting, and reading
- Act out role plays with the instructor to model speaking activities
- Support the clients with their learning strategies
- Show respect to clients and recognize their life-long skills and successes.
Note: There is often a waiting list for this volunteer position; we often put a hold on accepting new volunteers.
Minimum of 1 consistent class per week / Classes are offered in morning and early afternoon sessions.
Class times are: 9:00-11:30am, 12:30-3:00pm
Canadian Language Benchmark 4 or higher (written and spoken)
Become a Volunteer
Volunteers help us create healthier, welcoming, and more inclusive communities. Without our volunteers, we could not effectively deliver many of our programs and services. As a volunteer, you will receive orientation, training, and support from us while we together build a community where all can belong and grow.